Monday, September 23, 2013

Love and Closeness Challenge #9: Play Time

Playing with my man is one of my favorite pastimes. I know, it doesn't get the bills paid and most of the time it's not very romantic. It's not like while we're playing we're gazing into each other's eyes or telling each other how we feel. It's even better than this because it's truly bonding in a deep, meaningful way.
Play is how children bond and it's also how most adults bond, even if they don't know it. It's also a lot of fun. Building positive experiences is necessary for a relationship to continue to grow in a positive direction and play is an extremely positive experience.
There is also this rule that basically says that no two things (including intangible things such as thoughts, feelings and actions) can occupy the same space at the same time. It's impossible for you to be positively playful and at the same time be critical, judgmental, controlling or in any way unpleasant to be around. If you are happily playing then at that time you can't possibly be anything but happy and playful.
For me, this means that I get to be playful pretty much all the time in my own relationship with my mate. Which is a good thing, because it's honestly one of my favorite things to do and he seems to enjoy it a lot. A lot of my focus in the relationship is placed on things that he says that are funny, having fun with him, laughing and finding funny things in our mundane lives. It's impossible for me to be feeling angry, resentful, hurt, sad or thinking of the ways that I wished things were different if I'm engaged in play.
Even if you don't consider yourself super playful, like anything else, it can be learned. You don't have to be a comedienne. You don't really have to do anything specifically, just keep your thoughts focused on the fun and funny and your fun and playful side will naturally come out.  


Your challenge for the day, and something that I really hope that you'll do as much as possible everyday, is to play. Play with your mate, with your children and with your pets. Simply be playful. This adds so much value to your own life and the lives of the people that are living with you. Maybe not every situation should be dealt with in a playful way, but I believe that for the most part, we adults are far too serious. I was going to give you a list of ideas to be playful, but then I realized that the nature of play is spontaneous. So, your assignment today is to look for opportunities for fun and play everywhere you go and with everyone you spend time with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment